Desserts on the paleo menu are always a welcome treat, as long as we don't indulge too much and eat the entire carrot cake at once. You'll be delighted to know that this creamy, non-dairy almond milk pudding comes in individual casserole dishes, making it so easy to eat just one and saving more for later. Of course, you can always divide, as it makes 6 servings – we leave that option to you. Making a baked pudding is easy: Whisk the eggs with the vanilla, then stir in the hot (not boiled) almond milk and honey.
However, it takes practice to get it set just right. You may want to practice a few times before serving it to your valued guests (with the side benefit of enjoying it several times beforehand!). You may be wondering, is a water bath necessary? Yes, that's it. It prevents the pudding from curdling because the ramekins are insulated from direct heat. It is a beautiful thing! Check them towards the end of their cooking time and give them a gentle shake. If it wobbles slightly in the middle, but is otherwise set, it's done. Remember that once it is removed from the oven, it will continue to cook. The last thing you need is an overcooked pudding.
A perfectly baked pudding should be smooth and silky on the tongue. Enjoy the contents of each baking dish one at a time. Did you know that flour-free mini chocolate cakes are also baked in ramekins?
Almond milk custard recipe
The values apply per serving. These are for information only and are not intended to be exact calculations.
- 5 eggs
- 2 TEA SPOONS. Vanilla extract
- 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- Hot water
- Cinnamon and nutmeg to taste for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Heat the almond milk and honey in a saucepan; bring to a boil carefully.
- Remove from heat after cooking.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla until everything is well mixed and smooth.
- Slowly stir in the hot almond milk with the egg mixture, making sure that the eggs are not boiled.
- Pour the mixture into 6 individual baking dishes and place them in a baking dish.
- Fill the baking dish with hot water up to the level of the pudding in the baking dishes and place in the oven for about 40 minutes, until the edges are firm.
- Let cool in the fridge for about 2 hours before serving. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg just before serving.